Saturday, July 18, 2009

A Glorious Day in Battambang!

Greetings All! Jen Lewis here to tell you about the glorious day The Lord gave us today! Today, day 5 in Battambang, was Dedication Day for Haven of Hope! After a scrumptious breakfast at the hotel, with coffee you could paint the side of a barn with, we departed to see our kids. They always storm the van and make it very difficult for all of us to get out :)  I have never experienced so many hugs! We were led to the brand-spanking-new all-purpose building. It was but a shell when we arrived 5 days ago, and it looked fabulous today, all decorated and painted, and just beautiful! God has been hard at work in these people's hearts, and the dedication ceremony and program were flawless. The kids from all 5 BB orphanages danced for us. Our kids from Haven of Hope were adorable in native costumes. They are quite talented for their young ages. Of course, I may be just a bit biased :)  Pastor Jason spoke, and Pastor Savorn translated into Khmai. After the program, we all walked over to the Haven of Hope where Pastor Jason cut the ribbon, officially marking the opening of Haven of Hope! There was much applause and cheering, and probably more than a few tears. The orphanage directors, Jason, and Savorn all prayed at once, each in his own way and own language. God's presence was 
 HUGE in front of that new building!

This afternoon brought some much needed down time while the kids caught a nap. Some of us swam in the hotel pool, some slept, some walked down the street. At 4:30 P.M., it was back to the Haven of Hope for dinner with our kids, gift-giving, and more partying! Some of you already know that I have a new best friend in Cambodia. Her name is Srey Leang, and if I could fit her in my pocket, I would sneak her home! She has shown me more love in 5 short days than anyone else has shown me in a lifetime. She acted as my agent the other day as I signed family pictures and she orchestrated the distribution of them along with my business cards :)  Srey Leang has taught me how to count to about 30 in Khmai, how to say I love you, and various and assorted other phrases. Along with teaching ESL back home, I think I need to find a Khmai class so that she and I can communicate more effectively next time I come to Cambodia. Anyone know of any?

Tonight brought a HUGE dance party! We were in the middle of Cambodian country side and we were all dancing to some very LOUD music under God's beautiful stars :) I can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday evening. As we danced under the stars, fireworks were being sent off into the night sky! The kids all screamed with each one :) 

To digress a bit, Jen, Judy, and Todd all rode a tuk tuk to the Seeing Hands massage parlor yesterday. Blind people who earn an honest living by doing one hour massages for $6.00 worked us over pretty good. We dressed in scrubs and all layed down on tables. After an hour of DEEP the tissue massage with ELBOWS and the girls ON the table, we all felt like limp noodles. They giggled a lot each time one of us would scream "UNCLE!" It was quite an experience :)

Please pray for the young ladies who "work" in our hotel. It appears that "kareoke" is a term used loosely as a cover for  prostitution, and it is going on at the end of our hallway. Please pray that these young ladies don't fall victim to some horrible disease, and please pray that God rescues them from the life they lead, just as He has rescued our kids at Haven of Hope. We have seen God at work in many different ways in Cambodia. He CAN rescue them as well.

Time for some shut eye. We have to be ready for church at 8:00 A.M, so I will pray for you all tonight and tomorrow as well. Please pray that we are all making a difference in Battambang!

Peace and Love,
Jen


3 comments:

  1. That all sounds awesome! I bet the building looks beautiful! Can you upload pictures yet or is it still too slow...anyways I'll try to be patient but with anticipation! :)
    We cont. to pray for you all every night and when ever we think about you during the day!
    Love and Prayers to the team,
    Meredith and Fam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I can not wait until you return so I can hear more about your fabulous adventure. I have been checking the Blog daily and it has been fastinating following your progress and hearing all about your awesome experiences. I have been praying for you and your group and will continue to do so for your safe return home.
    Your friend,
    Jane Gundlach

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vern and Gwen- still praying for you! Greg and Donna

    ReplyDelete