Thursday, May 21, 2009

Had a GREAT 101 last night. There were approximately 20 adults that came to understand our vision and plans for the future. This on the heels of another record breaking week at church and a celebration that will be another moment in time for Western Reserve.

Let me weigh in this week on information vs. transformation. 

I grew up in a church where I learned about Jesus, His Word, and His reason for coming to the earth. Attended a Christian High School. Went to Grace College where surveys of the Old and New Testaments were taught. Graduated from college and took a youth pastorate position South of Akron, that eventually led to my coming to Western Reserve. During my early years here, I graduated with my Masters Degree from Grace Theological Seminary. 

I was inundated with doctrine. Let me be clear...I am thankful for my education! No slide being given here. My parents, wife, in-laws all helped get me through these important stages of my life. I am better for the education and the experience. I recommend it! Thanks to all professors and family!

After all the education, I began to run in the church world. Unfortunately, I began to allow "what" I knew to push aside "who" I knew. It was a huge learning time in my life!

I believe the church has to be intentional to promote transformation AND information...why? information without transformation equals damnation

One of the reasons that Jesus has stopped working in the church across America, is because pastors are receiving awards for preaching "through" the Bible rather than preaching the "who" of the Bible. These well intentioned, "informed" people of the church then hang a plaque with the pastors name on it, in a location that everyone is sure to see as they walk into the worship center. 

Here is my question: Where are the pictures of the transformed people the preaching impacted?

A bit more clarity...He preached the Word! There is no other source of truth, and Bible is not to be viewed as a self-help book on the shelf. It is the Word of God and should be taught with conviction, boldness, and yes, theology and doctrine pour forth from its pages. We need to know it! Pastors need to return to bold, clear, unapologetic teaching.

But when we open it, is there transformation? Is there anticipation? Are there stories of transformed lives? As Christians, we have been transformed by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Why are churches more excited about an upcoming conference than church? Why aren't we seeing people come to know Christ weekly, monthly or even annually? 

Its simple. We're not surrendered. 

We think we are...but we're not. If every Christian tithed 10% of their income as commanded in scripture, world hunger would be abolished and we would still have 50-60 million dollars to advance the kingdom. We aren't even close. In churches across America, there isn't enough money given to pay the electric bill, let alone rescue the spiritually restless.

We boast of surrender...but we're not. 

Rather than being a source in the community for hope and service to all...the church has the reputation of running fund raisers, and asking people who don't know Christ to fund a trip to reach others that don't know Christ. How did one get priority over the other? And why are we asking the one who isn't the priority to reach the one that is? Why do we think that sending people out of the country is more important than those in country? We are asking the lost to help reach the lost because the found aren't wholeheartedly surrendered.

We boast of surrender...we're not. 

You say, your mad! Yes I am. Not at you...AT ME. In years past... I've held back. I've preached out of fear of the negative response I may receive. I played defense when Jesus handed me the ball. 

Guess what...not much transformation was happening. By God's grace...no more of that.

My favorite section in our church is our baptism wall. Attached are stories of people who have been transformed. It's amazing to read. This is the end to which I will preach...

Heavenly Father, may we not waste another weekend! I pray that multiple people will surrender their lives to you Jesus! Please work! Please grant your power!

For the week,

Jason


2 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog and hearing your thoughts and your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Family,

    We have been praying for you from Momentum and the Lord is really moving in our hearts. Today we visited an Islamic Temple and we are very excited to hear your stories and wept at the pictures. It's awesome to think how big our God is: working here at Momentum, all the way in Cambodia, and in Urban Hope. Wait until you see our OB kids and what God has and is doing with them! Hug the kids for us! We love you!

    ~Cheri Boliantz, Mrs. T., Marty, and Devin

    P.S. Our Bible Quizzers made it to the semi-finals!

    ReplyDelete